Thursday, November 12, 2009

H&R Block's number is . . .

"They told me downstairs you can help me. I want to pay my taxes. Is this how I do it?" *Holding an envelope with the IRS address on it*

SIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHH. Why do people come to us for tax assistance? Let me just reiterate: Librarians are not accountants. BY LAW we are not allowed to do anything beyond give you the exact form you request and the IRS phone number. Nothing else. Zilch. Nada.

However, this patron actually wanted us to know from her question (which she repeated several times all just as vague as the question above) that she actually wanted to know if the Zip-Code was correct on her envelope and what form to use.

So the entire library was thrown into a tizzy because I told her the truth: Yes that was the correct address. yes she can file by mail. No I can't tell her anything else. Yet somehow a supervisor in another department took it upon herself to pass judgement on me and question my reference skills because the woman did not communicate correctly and asked for information it would be ILLEGAL for me to give out. Hey, I have a masters in research for a reason. If you think you can do my job better than me -- I would like to see you try. I wouldn't presume to tell you how to run your department so kindly stick to your own area.

I don't need someone else telling me how to be a librarian -- unless they are my peer. I don't tell doctors how to operate. I don't tell mechanics how to fix an engine. Just let me do my job.

Ok, done ranting now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment